The appellant must file the appeal from the trial court where the final judgment was entered.

The appeal must be filed in a timely fashion, and must be filed with the appropriate court.

The various topics are arranged into broad segments called “articles” (currently there are around 30) and further subdivided into thousands of sections.

An illustration of broad code topics covered in this primary source of legal authority range from agriculture to business regulation to corporations and associations to criminal law, environment, family law, insurance, public safety, tax, transportation, etc.

(Example: physical accommodation, spoken language interpreter) To ensure compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the courts have designated ADA coordinators for their facilities and services.

If you have questions or need assistance, contact the appropriate ADA Coordinator.

Certificates are often requested when an attorney practices outside of the state. How do I go on Inactive Status or return to Active Status?

To go on Inactive Status, you will need to file an Affidavit of Inactive/Retired Status and pay past dues.

Murphy Courts of Appeal Building 361 Rowe Blvd., Fourth Floor Annapolis, MD 21401 Upon receipt, you will receive a written confirmation from the Clerk's Office.

How do I get a Certificate of Good Standing (certifies that an attorney is licensed to practice in the State of Maryland)?

See Note* Attorneys who do not have any disciplinary action against them can obtain a Certificate of Good Standing from the Court of Appeals.

The certificate is a notification that the attorney is presently in good standing and licensed to practice in the State of Maryland.

Please be specific as to how you wish your name to appear, e.g., "from Jane Anne Smith to Jane Smith Johnson" or "from Jane Anne Smith to Jane A. You must also include a certified (RAISED SEAL) copy of the document that changes your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, name change order).