Cambridge ma middlesex jail
The Ferry District was one of Amesbury’s earliest settlements, dating from the 17th century.
The house bears a plaque reading, Theophilus Foot, 1692, while another source refers to the house as the Blaisdell-Woodman house.
Morrill, and from at least 1872 through 1884 it was owned and occupied by Albert B. Possibly a First Period house, with uneven spacing of bays, one-room depth with a two-story rear leanto, and flush eaves suggesting its early date.
A violent tornado occurred August 14, 1773, doing particular damage in the Ferry District, and blowing down “Theophilus Foot’s new house.” By 1854 the property was owned and occupied by Elliot D. Isaac Morrill was the eldest son of seven children of Abraham Morrill.
The elder Morrill was one of the area’s first settlers, operating a corn mill and farm and working as a blacksmith.
The present modern kitchen probably occupies what was once the original chimney bay.
This is believed to be the oldest First Period home still standing in Andover today.
Black and White images are from the MACRIS site, and link to that database.
Color images are from Wikipedia, assessor’s online databases for each town (Patriot Properties & Vision), Google maps searches, real estate sites, preservation organizations, and by the author of this blog, Gordon Harris (Ipswich town historian).While such an ancient origin is not indicated by an examination of the exterior, deed records substantiate the local tradition.In 1650 a Steven Flanders was “admitted a townman on the condition that he “constantly keep the town herd of cows.” The original ownership of the house is unknown, but by 1854 it was owned by A.This house, along with the Benjamin Abbot and Ballard-Foster houses, are situated in what was once known as “Happy Hollow”.In 1900, George F Baker, road commissioner who lived here, named the street for his ancestral one at Ipswich; Argilla Road from the Latin for clay.The house is said to contain an early room (kitchen) older than any in the Benjamin Abbot house, dating from 1671.